Dog Licenses - Frequently Asked Questions

Why do I have to register my dog?

State of New Hampshire law(RSA 466:1) requires that all owners of dogs four months and older shall annually be registered, numbered, described and licensed in the Town in which the dog is kept. Regardless of when the license is obtained, the license is valid from May 1 of each year to the following April 30.

In accordance with State law, owners must present a valid rabies certificate and, if applicable, a neuter/spay certificate. Veterinarians are required by State law to notify the Town Clerk when a rabies vaccination is issued. When this occurs, our office will send you a notice to license your dog if your dog is not already licensed with us.

How do I license a dog that is new to me?

You should license your new dog as soon as possible. Your license will be valid from the time the license is issued until the next April 30. You will need to provide a valid rabies certificate and, if applicable, a neuter/spay certificate. You may visit Town Hall (Mon, Tues & Thurs 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Wed 1:00 PM - 6:00 PM) to license your dog or mail with a copy of rabies certificate, with proof of current spaying or neutering. You may license your dog online by clicking here and entering in the owner's last name and the dog's name to see if there is an invoice.  You will need to enter your checking account number and routing number to pay with an ACH online transfer.

What happens if I don’t license my dog?

Failure to license your dog is a violation of State law. Owners who fail to register their dog by June 1 may be subject to fines and a court summons. Beginning June 1 late charges are assessed at $1.00 per month, per dog as well as the original licensing fees. Civil forfeiture fines will also be assessed in the amount of $25.00 per dog plus a $7.00 service fee, which will be payable within 15 days of receipt of the notice of failure to register. Failure to pay late charges, licensing fees and civil forfeiture fees within the 15 day period may result in a summons to appear in court.

What do I do if I no longer own my dog?

Contact the Town Clerk’s Office at 603-664-5476, and we will update your record so that you do not receive any further notices for the dog(s) you no longer own.