Current Use

Current Use Taxation, RSA 79-A

"79-A:1  Declaration of Public Interest. – It is hereby declared to be in the public interest to encourage the preservation of open space, thus providing a healthful and attractive outdoor environment for work and recreation of the state's citizens, maintaining the character of the state's landscape, and conserving the land, water, forest, agricultural and wildlife resources. It is further declared to be in the public interest to prevent the loss of open space due to property taxation at values incompatible with open space usage. Open space land imposes few if any costs on local government and is therefore an economic benefit to its citizens. The means for encouraging preservation of open space authorized by this chapter is the assessment of land value for property taxation on the basis of current use. It is the intent of this chapter to encourage but not to require management practices on open space lands under current use assessment." (Excerpt from New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated, 1991, Chapters 41-90)

State of New Hampshire, Current Use Criteria Booklet (includes, Administrative Rules, Current Use Handbook and RSA 79-A)

Land Use Change Tax

If you own property that is currently classified under Current Use, and you intend to develop, improve, subdivide and sell, or physically alter that property, the land may be removed from Current Use and you may be subject to the Current Use Land Use Change Tax.

Land Use Change Tax. Land which has been classified as open space land and assessed at current use values on or after April 1, 1974 shall be subject to a land use change tax when it is changed to a use which does not qualify for current use assessment. The tax shall be at the rate of 10 percent of the full and true value of the land that is subject to a non-qualifying use as of the actual date of the change in land use.

This tax shall be in addition to the annual real estate tax imposed upon the property, and shall be due and payable upon the change in land use.

For more information contact the Assessor's Office, or refer to New Hampshire Revised Statutes Online.