Vital Records

Birth, Death, Marriage and Divorce Certificates

Certified copies of New Hampshire vital records can be obtained from any New Hampshire Town Clerk for documents issued within certain date ranges:

  • Birth records from: 1935 to the present (except 1949 and 1950)
  • Death records from: 1965 to the present
  • Marriage records from: 1960 to the present
  • Divorce records from: 1979 to the present

Certified copies for events prior to these dates must be secured directly from the New Hampshire Town Clerk where the event occurred.  

Vital Records information may also be obtained at the website Secretary of State's website, or at the following address:

New Hampshire Department of State
Division of Vital Records Administration
71 South Fruit Street
Concord, NH 03301-2410

To obtain a certified copy of a vital record, you must have a direct interest in the record (for yourself, mother, father, step-parent, foster parent, grandparent, child, step-child, spouse, brother, sister, aunt or uncle). The charge for a record search is $15.00 by NH State law, whether a record is found or not. If the record is found, this fee covers the issuance of one certified copy of the record. Additional copies ordered at the same time for the same record are $10.00 each.

A request may be made in person or by mail and must include the name(s) as shown on the certificate, the date of the event, the purpose for which the certificate is requested, and your relationship to the person(s) on the document. Click here to access the Vital Record Request Form that must accompany any request by mail; you may also choose to complete this before your visit to Town Hall if you will be making your request in person.

Please note: Our office uses the standard State of New Hampshire request form; however, you should mail or present your request to our office: Barrington Town Clerk, PO Box 660, 333 Calef Highway, Barrington, NH 03825. A copy of your driver’s license, passport, or some other official photo identification is required. Payment must be made in the form of certified cashier’s check, money order or personal check made payable to the Barrington Town Clerk; or if making the request in person, payment may be made in cash – do not mail cash. Debit/credit cards are not a payment option at this time.