Skip Navigation

Detail Detail Detail Detail
Links for Residents
Links for Businesses
Hours & Contact Information
This table is used for column layout.
Motor Vehicle Registration Frequently Asked Questions
Registration Fees Explained
You always start with the Town Clerk when registering a car. The Clerk prepares the registration, and the applicant pays a personal property tax based on the value of the vehicle.

The motor vehicle permit fee is based on the MSRP(Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price) or the original list price of the vehicle without options.
The permit fee for the current model year is $18/$1000 of the list price. The rate then drops in $3 increments as follows:
Year 2  $15/$1000
Year 3  $12/$1000
Year 4    $9/$1000
Year 5    $6/$1000
Year 6    $3/$1000

In New Hampshire, cars are registered in the birth month of the owner, and the tax is pro-rated from the date of registration to the birth month.
The Clerk prepares the application for the New Hampshire Certificate of Title if necessary.


Per RSA 261:88

Effective January 1, 2017

There will be a $5 fee per hanging windshield placard issued  
This will include the following:
  • First time issuance
  • Additional placard
  • Permanent and Temporary
  • Replacement
  • Renewal

Effective January 1, 2015
A title will be required for any vehicle with a
model year of 2000 or newer

How can I renew my registration online?

You may renew your registration online up to 20 days early IF you have processed the registration in Barrington in the previous year.  You will need to have either your previous registration or the renewal letter, and your check book or your bank's routing number and your checking account number to process the online electronic transfer, click on the Motor Vehicle button after you  click here to start the process.

I have just moved to Barrington from another town in New Hampshire. Do I need to change my address on my registration and drivers license?

You will need to bring proof of Barrington residency by providing one of the following:
          Lease Agreement, electric bill, oil/propane delivery bill, current pay stub with Barrington physical
          address, or bank statement/check book  with current Barrington physical address  
to have your address changed on your license and registration here at the Town Office. You will need to complete a Record Change Request Form. Click here to access the Record Change Request Form.

If I move out of state prior to the expiration of my registration, do I receive a refund for the unused portion?

No, the State of New Hampshire nor the Town of Barrington provides a refund if you move.

I just bought a new car, what do I need to bring with me to register it?

Please note that a title is a legal document and is required to be completed accurately and in its entirety by the SELLER in order for us to process your transaction.
  • If you purchased your car from a New Hampshire dealership, you will need the blue title application marked “Town Clerk’s Copy” at the bottom in red.
  • If the vehicle that you purchased is new, you will need to bring in the vehicle window sticker showing the price, as we will not have access to the MSRP (Manufactured Suggested Retail Price.)
  • If you purchased your vehicle out of state, you will need to bring the original title or certificate of origin..
  • If you purchased your vehicle through a private sale, you will need to bring the original title which has been correctly assigned to you by the SELLER.
  • If you have purchased a vehicle that is a 1999 model year or older, you will need a bill of sale and one of the following 3 items:
1.  An original title or copy;
2.  A previous NH registration or copy for that vehicle; or
3.  A verification of the vehicle identification number, Motor Vehicle form TDMV 19A  which is      filled out by either a
A. NH inspection station
B. NH lay enforcement officer
C. Or a NH car dealer.

How do I transfer my license plates from my old car to my new car?

You will need to provide us with the current NEW HAMPSHIRE unexpired registration for the old vehicle, and the TOWN CLERK'S COPY OF THE BLUE TITLE APPLICATION OR THE TITLE from the dealer or seller on the new vehicle. License plates are solely owned by the first person listed on the registration and can only be transferred and any credit applied to a registration that again reflects the same individual as the first person on the registration. If there is a leasing company involved, you can transfer your plates as long as the lessee is the same as the owner of the plates.

What do I need to register or renew a current registration for a vehicle? What should I bring with me to process this transaction?

You will need to provide us with the current registration or the renewal notice. Pursuant to the State of New Hampshire Privacy Act Law, Records and Certifications RSA 260:14, if you are unable to provide your vehicle information to us, we cannot “fill in the blanks” and provide it to you.

What do I need to obtain a New Hampshire driver's license?

Driver's licenses are obtained through any office of the State’s Department of Motor Vehicles. The Concord DMV Office can be reached at 603-271-2251; phone numbers for local DMV offices are not available for the public.

Driver's licensing can  be done Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:15 pm at the Dover or Epping DMV.

You will need to produce the following documents to secure your drivers license:
  • An original or certified copy of your birth certificate or passport – these documents must be in your current name; if not, then the legal document indicating your name change must be presented; and
  • A current valid out-of-state drivers license; and
  • Proof of residency.

Can I get any plate type at the Town offices?

The Town of Barrington CAN issue regular NH license plates, Moose plates, motorcycle plates, trailer plates, Agricultural, Farm, Tractor and State park plates.

The Town CANNOT issue regular antique plates, veteran plates of any kind, commercial plates, Pearl Harbor plates, Purple Heart plates, moped pleated dirt bike plates, Handicap plates, apportioned plates. These plates can be obtained through the State of New Hampshire DMV Offices. Please call the State DMV at 603-271-2251 for questions regarding these types of plates.  Apportioned ONLY in Concord.

What type of payment does the Town of Barrington accept?

The Town of Barrington accepts cash, certified bank checks, cashiers’ checks, personal checks, or a money order. If you are paying by check and plan to do your entire registration (Town and State) at our office, you will need one check:  made payable to Barrington Town Clerk. At this time, we are not able to accept debit or credit cards for payment.

What do I do if I have lost my title?  

If you have lost your title and the vehicle is a model year 2000 or newer,   to print out a Lost Title Application.  You will need to mail A $25.00 check made out to NH-DMV and this completed form to: 


23 Hazen Drive

Concord, NH 03305

What if I register a vehicle with my child's name on it?

In New Hampshire the youngest a person can be on a registration is 16 years old, and until the child turns 18 years old a parental consent form needs to be filled out during any registration process, new or renewal.  This form MUST be submitted with the new or renewal paperwork, click here to print a copy of the Parental Consent Form.

I have just moved to Barrington from another state. What do I need to bring with me to register my cars?

You will need to bring the following to the Town Clerk’s Office:

1.  Proof of Barrington residency; you will need to provide one of the following:

          Lease Agreement, electric bill, oil/propane delivery bill, current pay stub with Barrington physical
          address, or bank statement/check book  with current Barrington physical address and  

2.  Current out of state registration and the ORIGINAL TITLE. If you do not hold the title to your vehicle,
      we will need the full name and address of the lien holder and/or leasing company and

3.  Current mileage of vehicle and

4.  The date you purchased the vehicle and who the vehicle was purchased from and their address and

5.  If two people are listed on the title both will need to come into the Town Hall to fill out the paperwork


How can I apply for a vanity plate?

Your name HAS to be listed first on the vehicle registration in order to request a vanity plate.  
You may visit this website click here, and then print out the application for vanity platesClick here . 
Presently the only way to apply for a vanity plate is by sending in the application to NH-DMV.
NH-DMV upon approval of the application will send instructions on how to obtain the vanity plate.

How can I obtain an estimate on my motor vehicle registration?(Only renewals and new are available)

You may obatin an estimate on your vehicle registration if you are processing a new or a renewal.  You will
need to have the vin(vehicle identification number) or the year, make and model, click here to get started.

What do I do if I have bought a Salvaged vehicle?
Click Here for the NH Department of Motor Vehicles website with instructions on what to do.

P.O. Box 660
333 Calef Highway (Rte. 125)
Barrington, NH 03825 PH: (603) 664-9007